Eating Gujarati In Delhi

My friend Mariellen Ward  informed me how India was  left out when the  listing of top destinations for food was  drawn up by popular travel publication  and the outrage it received from the readers. Well the publication will have its way .

I am likely to end up being called biased when I say "I  feel so fortunate  to be  living India" which according to me has unlimited options when its comes to eating. My words are not to be taken as propaganda . India truly is a "gastronomy delight"  and my friend  who is more right than "Paul Rockower" the young Jewographer and Public Diplomacy guru who believes in India  in "Gastro diplomacy" strengths.

Let me now come to this story of my craving for Gujarati Food in Delhi. Since I turned vegetarian six years ago I have been regularly asked this question " Is it not hard  staying veg" . Well my only reply has been being vegetarian is  bliss and the variety of options that Indian cuisine further enhances this "Bliss".

Gujarati food has always captured my imagination. My earliest introduction to this food was the lovely rajdhani restaurant in Baba karak singh road in New Delhi. This is without researching I invited by friend Mariellen who is visiting  Delhi to Join for lunch. When I arrive at the place I see this place closed and with no clue to look for another place close by I end up eating again at the legendary "Saravana Bhavan " restaurant in C.P . Mariellen says' Check out every place in Delhi before you go there, Delhi is fast Changing" How true. As  I tend to return home  disappointed at not eating my Gujarati meal I get this call from my friend Manish to join him in his office . Manish is now into big time into Pilgrimage travel and the greatest pilgrimage season of "Chardam yatra"  will start  6 April 2011.

As I enter Manish's office I see there a Catering Unit from Gujarat discussing the menu options for the Gujarati pilgrims  taking the Chardham. To my surprise of surprises I am offered to join in for dinner at a hotel where this catering team will roll out an elaborate Gujarati menu for us to test and taste. This is what I call a "Mouth Watering Offer"  . Its dinner time and I have the delicious "Kichidi with Gujarati kadi , Kaju karela , Bhindi , Kaman Dokla , Aaam Ras and soft rotis come up to my plate. Its was a real treat. This meal today inspires me to pack my bags and head to Gujarat to try more options. ( Mr. Amitabh Bachan are you hearing this. After you its the food of Gujarat that is inspiring people to go there.)

As I head back home after this great dinner I end up thinking how I was disappointed in the afternoon in missing my Gujarati lunch and here I am going back content after this big Gujarati Dinner. I call this work of "Karma"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OSTENTATIOUS OLYMPICS

You can Leave Cricket but cricket will not leave you

The Tech Edge of Jobs in Travel Industry